Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Published in the Paper

I was a guest writer for our local paper, Idaho County Free Press. I was featured on the first page of the special section on winterizing, a very important topic in these parts. Since the paper's readership is small and local, I've included my column for your information. I hope you find something useful therein.


At our house, autumn is in full swing and winter might as well be here. The children have made their Christmas lists and a paper chain that counts down to the first snow of the year. I find myself reeling at the thought of snow-bound house days and Christmas shopping; I’m just now raking the fallen leaves on our lawn.
I’ve made a list (and I’ve checked it twice!) that should help me cut back on the winter breakdowns that sometimes accompany raising five small children in the bleak winter months.
First, prepare against cold and flu season. Anyone can schedule flu shots, make sure the children are up to date on immunizations, stock up on Vitamin C lozenges, clean the humidifiers, darn socks, and find missing mittens. But I go the extra mile by duct taping a box of facial tissues to each child’s chest to make wiping runny noses and moist faces that much easier.
Second, install a shoe tree. The incessant pile of wet shoes, galoshes, and snow boots that live at my back door during the winter months has already begun to haunt my dreams. In an effort to cut back on the mountainous accumulation and in a stroke of Martha Stewart-esque creativity, I purchased a small artificial pine tree (complete with lights), hung sturdy hooks all over it, and strategically placed it at the back door. Now when the children kick off their snowy boots and damp stockings, they can aim them for the jolly shoe tree to dry off and add to the holiday cheer.
Third, pack family emergency kits. You should have at least three--one for the car, the doctor’s office, and your master bedroom closet. Include things like hard candy, bottled water, hand warmers, books, and flares for the car kit. Pack tissues, clean underwear, baby wipes, stickers, and video games for the doctor’s office kit. And for the master bedroom emergency kit, include a sleep mask, ear plugs, a small flashlight, and some beef jerky, just in case you need to hibernate in your closet for a good cry or a quick nap.
With these preparations in place, I say, “Let the winter games begin!”

No comments:

Post a Comment