Sunday, January 8, 2012

The New and Improved

Welcome, 2012! It's good to see you. I wasn't quite done with 2011, but he left anyway, so my life is wide open for you.

Why the delay in celebrating your arrival? I guess you're new here; you don't know about me.

I don't make new year's resolutions. I tried that. Twice. But it seems that to make a list is to doom myself to failure. Instead, I just try to do my best everyday, to be a little better than I was the day before. That included today. Same thing goes for tomorrow.

That husband and these children in my home? They are my whole life. And I like it that way. If you're planning on bringing much else to the table, kindly change your plans. My table is full. But if your intent is to wash all those dishes we used at dinner, I thank you in advance.

Don't try to tempt me with promises of a more glamorous, more fulfilled, more conspicuous me. I am content with who I am, with what I have, with how I fill my days. I have nothing to prove to you, or to anyone else.

I should tell you that I have some pretty high expectations for you. I want to love more deeply, give more freely, and sing more sweetly. I will use our friendship to that end. Small, loving reminders are appreciated. I hereby agree to pay attention to your small whispers, because with 2011, the whispers were what my loud exultations were all about.

You can count on me meet your demands, but you probably shouldn't count on me to be prompt about it.

Confession: I'm not the fastest runner. Actually, I'm not even a runner at all. I'm more of what you would call a "recreational walker". You'll probably try to lap me. Big deal. They all do. I'm okay with that--as long as you know that I will finish.

Take it easy on my little ones. I know you'll change them; I can't stop you. Just take your time about it. Please!

Pile on the laughter, songs, and love. I will devour them. Seconds and thirds are always appreciated.

And whatever else our friendship may bring, I hope you can say I was grateful, diligent, happy, and true to you. But you may not be able to say that until 2013 comes around.

And that's okay. Knowing me, I'll be about a week late sending you off.

2 comments:

  1. Ditto her comments from me, Dear 2012 friend! Great work again, Natalie. How can I not expect the best from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet perspectve on the new year.

    ReplyDelete